|Shown here before cheese is added|
I came across the original recipe on Pinterest, and of course ended up tweaking it according to what I had on hand. And of course, being the broccoli lover I am, adding more broccoli.
I'd rather have broccoli than chocolate. Seriously. =)
My tweak (and I found I need to at least double this):
- 2 Tbs. butter, melted in pot
- 3/4 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. thinly sliced carrots (I only had 6 baby carrots!)
- 3 c. water (keep lid on so it won't boil out)
- 2 tsp. chicken bouillon (I use Knorr powdered bouillon)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 medium-large potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 3 c. chopped broccoli (14 oz. frozen bag)
- 1 Tbs. self-rising flour
- 1/2 c. water
- 2/3 c. milk
- salt to taste
- cheese - prob. 1-2 cups? Each person just added in what they wanted.
Boil 3 c. water.
In main pot: melt butter, saute onions and carrots. (I'll use celery next time, too.)
Add to pot: the boiling water, bouillon, garlic powder, and potatoes.
Bring to a boil; keep covered.
Let boil for about 5 minutes or more before adding broccoli, then turn down to medium-high. (keep covered)
When vegetables are tender, mix 1/2 c. water and 1 Tbs. flour with whisk. Add to pot. Turn down to medium and let thicken for a few minutes. (Repeat flour and water if necessary)
Add milk. Serve when hot. Each of us added whatever amount of cheese we liked.
If you want to add it in ahead of time, start with about 1 cup and adjust to taste.
(There were no leftovers which is the saddest thing of all.)
Notes to self:
When making a triple recipe:
-get water boiling first
-takes about 10 minutes to come to a boil again after adding the partially frozen broccoli
-takes about 15 more minutes to get tender and blended.