Friday, March 26, 2010

Yolanda's Chicken Enchiladas

This recipe is sooo good!
My best friend Yolanda (since we were 14) gave me this recipe.

Chicken enchiladas: 
  • 2 lb. chicken
  • 2 T. Knorr powdered chicken flavor bouillon (green and yellow plastic jar -- pictured below)
  • 3-4 c. mozzarella cheese
  • 16 corn or flour tortillas
  • 1 sliced onion
►Add bouillon to a pot of water and boil chicken until tender.  It usually takes me over an hour to get it like I want it.
►Start on enchilada sauce and have rice ready to start as soon as the chicken is done.
►Remove chicken from pot, saving the liquid for the rice.   
►A good time to start the rice now.  Shred or cut chicken into strips.
Yolanda told me to get El Milagro corn tortillas, but I was unable to find them. 
If you use corn tortillas, you can place them in heated olive oil, a few seconds both sides, and shake off a little before placing in baking dish.  We tried some that I'd bought, but only Rebekah liked them.  So except for her, we used flour tortillas.
►Fill tortillas with chicken, sliced onions, and mozzarella cheese.  I poured a tsp. of liquid over the cheese in each tortilla.
Cover with saran wrap if not ready to bake yet.  Bake at 350° 12 - 15 minutes until cheese is melted.

Enchilada sauce:
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 6 medium tomatoes
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced in half and seeded (wear gloves!)
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled
  • 2 T. Knorr chicken flavor bouillon
  • ¼ tsp. powdered cumin
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder (not garlic salt -- the bouillon is salty)
►In large pan, fry onions in 2 T. olive oil. 
►In a pot of water, boil whole tomatoes, sliced and seeded jalapeño, and whole garlic clove for about 5 - 7 minutes until skin starts to peel from tomato. You don't want the tomato to split or all the juice will go out into the water.
►Remove from water and run all three thru food processor (with skin and all) until it is liquid.  Pour slowly into pan with onions, checking for unchopped pieces of garlic.
►Add bouillon, cumin, garlic powder; cook on low for 10 - 15 minutes until thickened.
Rice:
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 1 c. Mahatma Jasmine rice
  • 1½ - 2 c. broth from the chicken (taste first; if too salty, add a little water)
  • 1 T. parsley flakes
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder (not salt)
  • ¼ tsp. powdered cumin
  • 1 envelope of Goya brand Sazón (seasoning) that says "con culantro y achiote" (coriander and annatto)
►Heat olive oil on medium heat, and fry dry rice for 2 - 3 minutes.  Add in broth and spices.  Cook as directed on package.
Jasmine rice is a type of rice.  You can use another kind if you like.
Serve with enchilada sauce poured over enchiladas.
Other suggestions: sour cream, sliced avocado, additional tomatoes.
This took awhile for me to make, since I'd never made it before.  But I think I can multi-task a little better next time.  And there will be a next time!  YUMMY!!!

5 comments:

Judy said...

Just checking out this blog from your "Sahm I Am" one! I'm wondering if the rice goes in the enchiladas, or is served beside them?

Marty said...

I serve it beside, but some put it in the enchilada after they get it on their plate. Either/or. =)

Judy said...

Thanks! I'm wanting to try these this week. All your recipes look so delicious!

Anonymous said...

I be enduring be familiar with a only one of the articles on your website now, and I unqualifiedly like your tastefulness of blogging. I added it to my favorites entanglement page list and will be checking stand behind soon. Will contain in view my site as approvingly and fail me know what you think. Thanks.

Marty said...

Anonymous, I am so sorry, but I have no idea what you mean... maybe you typed this in another language and used an online translater to translate it into English?
Sorry I can't reply to whatever it is you're wanting to know.