Thursday, January 21, 2010

Baked White Chicken Spaghetti

Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm!
  • 2 c. cooked chicken, cubed
  • 3 c. chicken broth
  • 1 8-oz box spaghetti
  • 1/3 c. butter
  • 1/3 c. sifted flour
  • 1 c. cream or half & half (I used 2% milk and thickened later)  ETA: You could also add 2 - 4 T. butter.  I guess to make it richer?  I'll try that next time.
  • 2 T. parsley (I had none, and used 1 T. basil. I think 2 tsp. wd have been enough)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 c. chopped mushrooms (optional - I didn't have any)
  • 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
~Cook chicken, cut into cubes, saving 3 cups of the broth.  Cook spaghetti and drain.
~In pot, melt butter and add flour, stirring with whisk.  Cook for 3 to 5 minutes on low.  Take off heat and stir in the warm broth.  Blend well and return to heat.
~Stir in cream or milk, parsley, salt, and pepper.  Cook until you have a creamy sauce.
~I used milk, so with a whisk I mixed about 2 T. flour into 1/4 c. COLD water.  I got the sauce nearly to boiling and slowly poured in the flour/water, mixing altogether with a whisk.  The sauce should thicken immediately.  If it doesn't, repeat with the flour/water.  Remove from heat.  It looks like alfredo sauce.
~Add spaghetti, chicken, and mushrooms.  Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish.  I used my glass oval dish that has a lid to put into the refrigerator later.  Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and extra parsley on top.  Cover with foil and bake at 350ยบ for about 30 minutes.
~Top with mozzarella or Provolone cheese.
Source:  The Homemaking Helper

I knew JohnDavid wouldn't care for this recipe, and maybe not Travis either (but he did =).  So I cooked 16 oz of spaghetti and made regular spaghetti with half of the noodles.  Boy I had to juggle my pots back and forth, and wash them to reuse while cooking.
Here's my kitchen before and after.  =)
See the clean/dirty sign above the dishwasher?  =D
I love the sound of a dishwasher, hahaha!

No comments: