Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Southern Cole Slaw

Why is it called "cole" slaw???  WiseGeek says, “The word 'coleslaw' most likely came from the Dutch word koolsalade, which means 'cabbage salad.' However, in Dutch, koolsalada is often shortened to koolsla. It is easy to imagine how the Dutch koolsla was translated into the English 'coleslaw.'”
When I was a kid, I thought it was 'cold' slaw!  =)  'Cause it is!
  • ½ head of cabbage, cut into several chunks
  • ¾ c. mayonnaise
  • ½ t. vinegar (some people prefer more)
  • 2 T. sugar
  • 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
Run the cabbage and carrot thru the food processor until the right size you like for slaw.  I prefer not to get mine too small, or it feels "grainy" when I eat it.
Use a spatula to get cabbage off the sides and pour into a bowl that has a lid.
Add mayo, vinegar, and sugar.  
Stir well.  At first, it may seem that it's too dry, but stir a little longer.  Add a little mayo if needed.
If it's too wet, chop a little more cabbage to throw in.
Put the lid on and keep refrigerated until serving.

Serve on hotdogs or hamburgers, with barbeque or fish, or at the next cookout you have.  
Goes great with baked beans and potato salad!  We also like to have it at a meal when I have green beans.  I like slaw when I have green beans!  =)

No comments: